Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shield Drone Project

If I'm lucky I'll get photos up this week but I did complete the mod to change two gun drones into one shield drone. Here is an overview of my DIY Shield Drone:

  1. I took a drill bit (you can use the Games Workshop Hobby Drill) that was the same size as the hole in the bottom of the gun drone disc that will be the bottom disc of the shield drone. I then drilled the hole all the way through the gun drone disc. I did this to ensure the drone would sit level on its flight stand
  2. Next I took the center bit that normally joins the gun drone disc to the guns and snipped off the nub that would normally be inserted into the gun drone using my plastic snipers.
  3. I dropped a dab of glue into the hole that the flight stand normally is inserted into, then pressed the nub into the hole to fill it.
  4. I took the "top" gun drone disc and dropped a dab of glue into the hole underneath it.
  5. I inserted the center bit into the disc aligned so the "teeth" on the bottom of the center bit facing the rear of the drone.
  6. I smeared a bit of glue on the free nub of the center disc and then pressed it into the bottom, taking care to ensure the discs were lined up as mirrors of each other.
  7. I snipped the aerials from the sprues and glued both of them on top of the new shield drone. By this point I was able to verify that new shield drone can sit on a flight stand.
  8. That's it! Now I just have to paint the blasted thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment