Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Frugal Warhammer Player: Tau Empire Battleforce

I am still eagerly saving up my pennies to buy the Tau Empire Battleforce. Technically I have enough money right now to buy one of these. Well - technically right now I have it, but my itchy wallet says go to to Louisville Game Shop this weekend and BUY BUY BUY and... well... they don't have it in stock.

Anyway - this thing is not only the best "entry" into the game as a Tau player it offers some incredible versatility.

HQ
My only issue here is the HQ slot. I believe Games Workshop intends for you to use the standard XV-8 in this slot but as I've said before that just feels weird to me. Either remodel it or spring for an extra $30 and buy the Crisis Commander and you'll be set. Optionally you can stick the XV-8 as a Bodyguard or move him down to Elites.

Elites
If you're like me and don't like using the standard XV-8 in this slot and/or have a Commander, the XV-8 can fall in here along with that nice Stealth team and their Markerlight Drone.

Troops
Far better than the 300-point army list I posted previously this gives you the option of fielding a team of Fire Warriors and a team of Kroot. To make things nicer you can mount your Fire Warriors in your Devilfish by taking the Gun Drones out of the squad (more on that in a bit).

The Gun Drones
I'm not a big fan of Gun Drones so far, but I do see their uses. In this set you get a whopping six - count 'em - six gun drones, including ditching the two on the APC in favor of using that spot on the model with a Smart Missile System.

So your options then become using them either as a fast-attack Gun Drone squad or you can mod them into shield drones. I'll have details on my plan for that up soon. I hope be experimenting with this mod over the next week so if I'm lucky I'll have photos up soon.

Overall this thing is a fantastic deal for the money. MSRP is $90 for the set, where as you can expect to pay that much for just the two troop choices and the XV-8. On top of that I've seen this thing online for about $72. Not a bad way to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment